- Prayer Shawl Ministry
- Our Prayer Shawl Ministry meets once a week. Our members create beautiful,handcrafted knitted items such as lap blankets with yarn that has been donated and blessed. Yarn donations are welcome.
Contact Ann Winkler at (718) 326-7785 for more information about this ministry.
- Knights of Columbus
- Thanks to the efforts of Father Michael J. McGivney, assistant pastor of St. Mary’s Church in New Haven and some of his parishioners, the Connecticut state legislature on March 29, 1882, officially chartered the Knights of Columbus as a fraternal benefit society. The Order is still true to its founding principles of charity, unity and fraternity.
The Knights of Columbus was formed to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works.
Contact the parish office for contact information about this organization.
- Senior Citizens
- A social group for senior members of the parish and community who meet each Wednesday from 12 noon to 3:00 pm.
Director: Angie Ferzola. Tel: 718-894-7259
Moderator: Msgr. Steven Aguggia, Tel: 718-326-1911; Email: email@example.com
Boy Scout Troop #119
Meet on Tuesdays from 7:15 – 9:00 pm. New members welcome, age 10 1/2 & up. Call 718-894-4099.
Cub Pack #119
Meet on Mondays from 7 – 8:30 pm. New members welcome, age 6 – 10 1/2. Call 718-894-4099.
Daisies, Brownies & Girl Scout Troops
Aim: to help those in need by working with our school, family and parish communities. We hope to foster leadership qualities with love while gaining self-esteem and long time friendships.
Daisies: meet on Fridays – 2:30 to 4:00 pm
Brownies: meet on Mondays – 2:30 to 4:00 pm
Girl Scouts: meet 2nd and 4th Wednesdays at 4:00 pm, and
meet 2nd and 4th Thursdays at 6:30 pm
- St. Margaret Italian Society
- The Italian Society meets on the last Thursday of the month. This group provides spiritual, social and fund raising activities for its members.
Contact: Msgr. Steven Aguggia (718) 326-1911; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teen Association & Young Adult Group
- St. Margaret Teen Association and Young Adult Group provides teens 13 and up and young adults opportunities to make new friends and participate in social and faith-focused activities within the parish and the community.
Activities incude: movie nights, discussion groups, trips, singing and playing instruments in our band, faith formation, dances and fundraising. Adults and older teens are also encouraged to join our group as leaders.
Note: Adults and teen leaders are all required to complete a free course in child safety and abuse prevention provided by the Brooklyn/Queens Diocese.
Please see the bulletin for current information or call 718-381-4048 or email@example.com to be put on our mailing list.
- Music Ministry
Choir Don & Diane Competello, Parish Directors of Music
Our parish has two adult choirs. The Italian choir sings every Sunday at the 9:00 A.M. Mass. The English choir sings every Sunday at the 12:00 noon Mass.
Both the Italian and English choirs are progressing well, keeping in mind the directives of the Liturgical Commission. Our Choirs strive to enhance the liturgy by leading the assembly. We also work on choral music that hopefully will lift the hearts of the assembly and enrich their prayer experience.
Both choirs rehearse weekly. The Italian Choir rehearses on Monday evening after the 7:30 P.M. Mass. The English Choir rehearses every Tuesday evening at 7:30 P.M..
No auditions are needed to join. The only requirement is a willing spirit and an eagerness to serve your parish in this special way.
Anyone from high school age on is welcome. Please give us a try! Visit us any Sunday in the choir loft, or call at 718-326-1911.
OUR FIRST CHOIR PRACTICE FOR THE SEASON WILL BE ON AUGUST 28TH AT 7:30 P.M. IN THE CHURCH. WE ARE A VERY WELC0MING AND COHESIVE GROUP. WE TRY TO ENHANCE THE LITURGIES THROUGH THIS MINISTRY. WE LOOK FORWARD TO PREPARING FOR OUR ANNUAL SERVICE OF LESSONS AND CAROLS IN ADVENT. WE ALSO WILL BE PREPARING FOR THE MIDNIGHT MASS ON CHRISTMAS EVE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COME UP TO THE CHOIR LOFT ON ANY SUNDAY AFTER ANY MASS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
OUR PARISH ORGAN
We are fortunate to have a pipe organ in our church that is still working and sounding
in the tradition of the instruments that were designed to enhance the liturgies
throughout the ages. The organ has sixteen ranks (families of pipes) of various tone colors.
The combination of the ranks provides a sound that is both powerful and inspiring.
All of the sixteen ranks are working and have been maintained to the best of our
ability. Furthermore, I have been able to enhance the present organ with digital keyboards
that are voiced to the original pipework resulting in a beautiful combination of the traditional pipe
organ sound and the orchestral additions i.e. strings, woodwinds and brass.
Here you will find a brief history of our organ. My hope is that someday we will
have a fully functional console that will continue to preserve the traditions
of beautiful music in St. Margaret’s for many years to come.
The organ in the present church was built in 1937 by the W.W. Kimball
Company of Chicago. Kimball installed the organ in a chamber at the
rear of the church and provided a detached two-manual drawknob console.
When originally installed the organ was completely enclosed but the
swell shades have since been removed. Sometime in the 1970s the organ
was rebuilt by the Schantz Organ Company of Orrville, Ohio. As of 2012,
the organ is playable and used regularly but is in need of restoration.
The console (actual keyboards of the organ) and the pedals are in need of refurbishing.
THANKS TO THE GENEROSITY OF THOSE PARISHIONERS WHO GAVE TO THE ANNUAL CATHOLIC APPEAL,
THE REPAIR OF THE CONSOLE MAY SOON BE A REALITY.
It is a pleasure to serve you as directors of
music in this wonderful parish.
Don & Diane Competello
The Children’s Choir practices on Fridays from 5 – 5:45 P.M. in the Parish Hall. Children in Grades 3 and up are welcome to come and sing. The Choir sings at the monthly Family Masses at 10:30 A.M. We also participate in a Christmas concert. We have a great time at rehearsals, learning new music and singing praise to the Lord!
Children’s Choir directors: Kathy Burger and Jeanne Perry; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING ANY ASPECT OF MUSIC MINISTRY IN OUR PARISH MAY BE DIRECTED TO DON OR DIANE COMPETELLO, DIRECTORS OF MUSIC MINISTRY @ 718-326-1911.
- Ministry of Praise
- St. Margaret is proud to announce the addition of a new ministry for our homebound community of friends. The Ministry of Praise will enable our homebound parishioners to contribute their prayer time in a much needed and valuable way – by praying for your petitions!
All are invited to submit petitions to our Ministry of Praise Box located in the vestibule in Church. Petitions will be delivered by Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion to those homebound parishioners who have enrolled in this ministry. Your petitions will be prayed on and will enrich the lives of the homebound, the volunteers and you as members of our faith community.
The Ministry of Praise is being used in over 20 states. It is being introduced to our parish because our homebound population expressed a wish to be of service to the parish. Besides individual petitions, they will also pray for the intentions of all our parishioners. We appreciate very much their generosity of spirit.
If you would like to submit your petitions, please fill out a petition slip and leave it in the Ministry of Praise box. Please do not include your name as all petitions are confidential and anonymous. Thank you for your interest strengthened as a prayerful community and family.
- Hospitality Ministry-St. Martha Guild
- Members attend all funerals and offer assistance to guests. Their role is to create an atmosphere of hospitality and friendship among all those who attend our church.
Contact: person: Lena deSimone
Ada Bajlo (Italian)
Moderator: Deacon Michael Brainerd
- The Giving Tree
- THE ST. VINCENT dePAUL SOCIETY sponsors a “Giving Tree Collection” for our families in need at Christmas. All parishioners, societies, school and C.C.D. students are invited to participate by donating brand new toys and clothing items for children from infancy to age 16. All gifts are to be unwrapped and brought to any organizations to which you belong, (seniors, school, Italian society), or to the convent. Dates and times for drop-off will be announced.
As always, thank you for your generosity.
- Food Pantry
- The pantry is in desperate need for kids’ cereals, tuna, mac/cheese, soups, apple juice and canned fruits, pasta sauce, coffee, cookies and crackers.
Also stuffing mix, canned yams and mashed potatoes. We are still accepting super-market gift cards, cash or checks to enable our neighbors to buy a turkey and/or other perishables for the Holidays. Envelopes marked St. Vincent de Paul will be in the back of the Church. You may deposit them in the collection basket, give them to an usher or bring to the Convent on the days the pantry is open.
THE PANTRY IS OPEN ON SATURDAY AND WEDNESDAY FROM 10AM TO 12 NOON
- The St. Vincent de Paul Society
- The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is part of “Pastoral Care” in that it maintains a food pantry, has clothing drives and hlps parishioners with material needs. They provide food baskets at Holday time and organize a “Giving Tree” of gifts for St. Margaret parishioners and for nearby parishes. The food pantry is located in the convent and is open Wednesday from 10am to 12 noon and Saturday from 10am to 12 noon. Please click here for more information.
Deacon Michael Brainerd. Tel: 718-326-7785; Email: email@example.com
- Pastoral Care Outreach Program
- Pastoral Care Personnel at St. Margaret work with the home bound, sick, aged, bereaved and poor of the Parish. They visit the sick in an attempt to identify and assist them in their spiritual, physical and material needs.
- Bereavement Program
- The Bereavement Program offers understanding and support to anyone in need. They convey Christian hope and genuine care to those who are grieving the death of a loved one.
The Bereavement group meets on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month at 10:00 am in the Convent meeting room.
Director: Ann Winkler. Tel: 718-326-7785; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Moderator: Deacon Mike. Tel: 718-326-7785.
- Lucky Number
- Helps raise funds for the parish. Drawings are every day of the year — based on the NY State lottery (evening number). Pick a three digit number for $60.00 (two or more $50.00). Prize $50.00 straight or $10.00 boxed. Contact: Patti Caruana, 718-639-2263.